Private music instruction
I offer private lessons and consultations to musicians and bassoonists of any age at the rate of $25 per half hour increment. Elementary music theory instruction is also available. Please know I would never turn away a student for financial reasons if they are passionate about music and willing to work hard.
- 'On time'... is late.
- Attentive, daily practice is expected.
- Students will prepare all materials assigned.
- Both student and instructor will comport themselves respectfully and cordially at all times.
- Lessons will take place on the campus of Augustana University in the Humanities Building, unless other arrangements are made.
- Parents are always welcome to sit in on lessons!
- Students MAY NOT use photocopies or digital scans of copyrighted music at any time, unless permission has been obtained from the rights holder, or the photocopy/digital reproduction falls under the 'fair use' guidelines. Instructor is not a lawyer, and cannot provide guidence as to what constitutes 'fair use'. Music in the public domain may freely be photocopied and used in lessons at any time.
Scheduling and communication
- All communication shall be via phone call, email, or text message.
- All communication involving schedule changes, cancellations, locations, or fee changes shall either a) take place in written format, or b) be confirmed in written format after a verbal discussion. Written agreements shall supercede any and all verbal agreements.
- Weekly lesson schedule shall be established and maintained.
- We're all busy, so when lesson cancellations or schedule modifications become necessary, a minimum of twenty-four hours' notice is required, except in obvious cases of emergencies or inclement weather.
- In the event of emergencies or inclement weather, notificication is not necessary, but is appreciated at the earliest safe and convenient moment. Stay safe, and take care of the important things first!
- Instructor shall, at all times, be respectful of any financial restrictions of the student or their families, and offer alternatives where possible.
- Lesson fee is $25 per half hour increment. Fee is due at the lesson in question, unless paid in advance.
- If a lesson runs under time due to a lack of student's preparation, lesson fee will not be reduced.
- If a lesson run over time at instructor's discretion, there will be no increase in the lesson fee or extra charges in this circumstance.
- Occasional purchase of bassoon reeds is required. They are a natural product, and wear out.
- Instructor offers beginner's reeds available for $25 each, and advanced student's reeds for $35. Lead time is generally a week or two.
- Alternatively, reeds may be purchased on the internet or at local music stores, and will be adjusted as necessary/to the extent possible by the instructor during lessons. Instructor can provide recommendations on request.
- Occasional purchase of sheet music or textbooks will be required.
- Purchase/ownership of a metronome or metronome app, and tuning products (CD/mp3 album of 'drones', or sounding reference pitches against which a student practices intonation) is required. Both conditions can be fulfilled for less that $15.
- Yearly and 'as necessary' maintenence of the instrument is required, and shall be seen to promptly.
- Students interested in learning to adjust reeds, or make reeds from scratch, will need to purchase the appropriate tools. Instructor can provide recommendations on request.
If you are interested in contacting me, my email is email@example.com, or you can use the form below.